Cucumber is a summer vegetable and common among the other table vegetables. Therefore its demand is higher than other cucurbits. Cucumber is grown twice a year to meet its demand. Once in the summer and the second one in the tunnel by forcing method in winter.
Cucumber is widely grown by progressive farmers and gardeners. Due to the negligence of gardeners, sometimes they experience the new form of “orange color” of cucumber. This creates confusion for some of you about what may have happened to my cucumber.
In this article, you will be able to find out what an orange cucumber is. We’ll discuss what an orange cucumber means in detail. In the end, we’ll conclude the article and give the answers to some frequently asked questions.
Orange Round Cucumber
As you all know that cucumber is commonly used for salad. Therefore, gardeners love to grow cucumbers at home. Cucumber grows and matures quickly due to higher temperatures. That’s why it becomes necessary to harvest on time. Well, it depends on some factors you should consider such as climate, variety, time of sowing, etc.
Harvest cucumber when it reaches maturity, otherwise, it will turn from green to yellow or orange. Sometimes, gardeners may claim that they have never seen their cucumber turning green. This could be because some varieties mature in yellow color.
Yellow varieties of cucumbers
“Sunsweet, Chinese Yellow, and Lemon” are a few cucumber varieties that turn yellow when mature. You can find out more by searching on Google. However, it is uncommon in all other varieties because cucumber turns green when fully matured.
Harvest cucumbers on time. To accomplish this, you must first understand cucumber maturity indices. There are maturity indices that indicate when it is time to harvest. The maturity indices are as follows:
- Days of maturity: After transplanting from a nursery, cucumbers mature in 55 to 60 days. You can estimate the days by counting the days after transplanting.
- Size and Firmness: Size is an important factor in determining maturity. Its size varies depending on the cultivar, but it typically ranges from six to twelve inches. The cucumber should be soft and firm as well.
- Ripening: When the cucumber reaches maturity, another physiochemical process called ripening begins. In other words, pick the fruit before it turns yellow.
- Harvest immature: Harvesting at the immature stage means you must pick the fruit a week before or a few days earlier. This will aid in overcoming the problem of orange round cucumber.
Post-maturity stages of cucumber
Due to the negligence of gardeners, cucumbers remain on the vine even after their maturity. It becomes obvious, and the ripening process begins. Horticulturists call it aging or senescence. Because of the hot summer, the cucumber on the vine quickly turns yellow. Other changes that occur after complete maturity include the following:
- Reduces water content: After maturity, due to metabolic processes, a lot of water content usage reduces the level of water. As a result, the fruit loses firmness and becomes hard.
- Increase in size: A sharp metabolic process causes a cucumber to grow in size.
- Yellow pigmented: Cucumber skin color changes from the outside to yellow, affecting the internal components as well. Its flesh turns yellow and contains more carotenoid pigments, making it more nutritious.
What, you might ask, should I do if I end up with orange cucumbers? If you discovered orange cucumbers in your backyard, I recommend that you seize another opportunity. You can save the seeds for the following season. Allow the cucumbers to mature and develop refined seeds to accomplish this. Finally, I would advise you to remember to save the seeds for the following season.
Finally, we’ll go over some frequently asked orange cucumber questions. These questions will provide you with an overview of the entire topic. So let’s keep going with these questions.
Are orange cucumbers safer to eat?
When cucumber reaches maturity, it contains the water composition in abundance. After ripening, water reduces making cucumber firmness harder, and yellow pigment (carotene) increases. Which is thought to be more nutritious than green cucumber. In my opinion, it is safer to eat but at the same time poor in taste.
Why are my cucumbers are round and orange?
When you’ll allow your cucumber on the vine after it completes its maturity. Then it starts turning yellow and its size as well. This is the main reason for orange cucumber.